10 November 2005

56-year-old gives birth to twins



NEW YORK (CNN) -- Just three days shy of her 57th birthday, Aleta St. James has given birth to twins.

The baby girl and boy were born at New York's Mount Sinai Hospital by cesarean section.

Francesca was born first, at 9:18 a.m., weighing 5 pounds, 12 ounces, and Gian (pronounced John) followed at 9:19 a.m., weighing 5 pounds, 3 ounces, the hospital said.

"The babies are in excellently good health," said Dr. Jonathan Scher, the physician who delivered the babies. "They are fabulous babies and were well enough to go directly to the well-newborn nursery." He also reported that St. James "is doing just fine."

"When I look into my children's eyes, I feel such love, gratitude and appreciation for having been given these miraculous gifts," St. James said after her birth.

Jane Miller, director of the North Hudson IVF, a fertility clinic in New Jersey, said that St. James, a motivational speaker and life coach, had been her patient for several years before she discussed undergoing in-vitro fertilization. "She's been my gynecological patient for a while. It wasn't like she just came to ask to become a record or be some statistic," Miller said.

"In general I would not recommend someone to get pregnant at this age," Miller added. "Pregnancy at this age can increase the chances of premature birth, which can cause neurological damage to the baby."

MayoClinic.com, a partner of CNN.com, lists these additional risks to pregnancy during a woman's 50s:


  • Increased miscarriage risks

  • Gestational diabetes

  • Pregnancy-induced hypertension

  • Greater chance of Caesarean delivery



Miller said she agreed to oversee St. James' pregnancy because she was in such good health.

"There was no medical reason that would prevent a successful-term pregnancy with her through the use of donated eggs," Miller said.

Miller noted that in the wake of publicity about St. James, more older women are contacting her about giving birth.

"This is a very risky situation," Miller said. "And when women of this age range call, I'm going to give them a dose of reality."

St. James was bit more optimistic about the possibility of other women following her lead. "At any age it's possible," she said. "It's only over when it's over. ... I don't want to have any regrets when I'm older."

The oldest American to give birth to twins was 57-year-old Judy Cates, on December 9, 1998. The oldest to give birth is believed to be a 63-year-old woman from Highland, California.

St. James is the sister of Guardian Angels founder Curtis Sliwa.





Today, while flipping around the 3 major network morning shows, I saw Katy give an interview with Ms. St. James. It gave me a lot of hope. This woman appeared to have a wonderful attitude, and her boys are now very healthy and alert toddlers.

Now, I am only 41 years old, and I realize how much potential my life still has. With so many people saying I am too old to have a child, I know that these people who make these assertions are not me.



Now lets talk about the news report where a restaurant manager gets a phone call by someone stating to be a police officer telling the manager to make a young girl strip because the police officer claimed she stole something. This is not the first time this has happened. I suspect this person is a serial perve.

When I was working as a supervisor at Hardy's, I was transferred to the restaurant in Charleston where this same thing had happened before I got there to a manager there. I had met that manager during training. He said he used to own a pizza place and was training to be a general manager.

The exact same thing happened to him, and the girl's family sued Hardy's over it. This was a few years ago. Sad to see it is still going on.

And get this...the call was collect. And the call came from Florida. We were in West Virginia. O.K...now, a police officer will never call collect from another state to order a manager to take a young girl down to the basement and completely strip search her. That is sexual assault.


ok...lets talk about the election Tuesday. I voted. We made history in Pennsylvania since it is the first time a Pennsylvania Supreme Court Judge was voted out of office. I voted "no" on both judges because the state legislature decided to give themselves an outrageously high raise, and they do not earn it. Next year, I plan to vote against all incumbents also. Maybe then they will get the message.

That is why I voted the Democrats out off Congress and the Senate which turned our house of representatives into a Republican majority. The reason was simple. We were in a recession and they gave themselves a raise. So I voted incumbents out. I guess Pennsylvania representatives just do not learn.


Halloween was nice. There were some really adorable kids. Still it was not nearly as busy as last year.


It is hard to think of my Uncle Bill as having passed over from lymphoma Cancer. I would like to thank my aunt Mary for emailing me 2 pictures from Uncle Bill's funeral, since I was unable to attend.


Saturday, John, Dad Ullom, & I went to the Ohio damn to go fishing. We were there for 5 hours. John was wonderfully patient with me setting up the spinner bait for me and unhooking and releasing all the fish I caught. It is almost like the fish were just jumping onto the hook. It was not uncommon to release a fish, and the next cast, there was another fish on the hook. I suck at fishing, and I caught over a half dozen fish. With John and Dad Ullom, they easily caught at least 100 fish. We caught Walleye, Sauger, White bass. I only fished for about 2 hours. I noticed a lot of Shad being stranded on shore, and when I saw some still alive, I decided to try to save some of their lives. The ones I saw that were still fighting to survive, I tossed back into the water. One to the guys there who was fishing with his grandson though I was picking up the shad to use as bait and brought me some. I explained to him that I was trying to save their lives. He replied that it is just part of nature...fish die. I was still determined though to save as many as I could, no matter how crazy I looked.

At the end of the day, Johns shoulder and arm were very sore. Fishing is really good upper body exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment