21 October 2003

A Good Reason Why I Do Not Own a Cell Phone



A colleague and good friend of mine passed this information to me and I consider it relevant and important enough to pass it along to all of you.

Please read and act accordingly as many of us, our friends and our family members carry Cell Phones.



The Shell Oil Company recently issued a warning after three incidents in which mobile phones (IE: Cell Phones) ignited fumes during vehicle refueling operations.

In the first case, the cell phone was placed on the vehicle's trunk lid during fueling. It rang and the ensuing fire destroyed the car and the gasoline pump.

In the second case, an individual suffered severe burns to their face when fumes ignited as they answered a Cell Phone call while fueling their car.

In the third case, an individual suffered burns to the thigh and groin as fumes ignited when the Cell Phone - which was in their pocket, rang while they were fueling their car.

YOU SHOULD KNOW THAT:

1. Mobile Phones can ignite fuel or fumes.

2. Mobile Phones that light up when switched-on or when they ring release enough energy to provide a spark for fuel/fume ignition.

3. Mobile Phones should not be used in filling stations, or when fueling lawn mowers, boats, etc.

4. Mobile Phones should not be used, or should be turned-off, around other materials that generate flammable or explosive fumes or dust.

(IE: solvents, chemicals, gases, grain, dust, etc.)

REMEMBER THESE THREE RULES FOR SAFE REFUELING:

1. Turn off the vehicle's engine.

2. Don't' Smoke.

3. Don't use your Cell Phone - leave it inside the vehicle or turn it off!

You can find out more about these potential Cell Phone Dangers at the Petroleum Equipment Institute Website located at http://www.pei.org. Once there click on the center of the screen where it says "Stop Static".

Thanks in advance for reading this information and PASSING IT ON TO OTHERS!

Lindsay E. Ferguson
Manager,
Safety & Environmental Health
INVENSYS Metering Systems



No comments:

Post a Comment